Friday 11 April 2014

Going on Vacation: Suspend or Lengthen Your Fiverr Gigs?

You’re going on vacation, but what do you do about your Fiverr gigs? I’ve not tried the vacation mode yet, but have heard that it is really buggy. The options really are to suspend your Fiverr gigs or lengthen the delivery time.

But which one is best?

Really it depends on a few factors. I tend of lengthen my delivery times, but have suspended my Fiverr gigs in the past. Here are a few things to consider.

The Length of Your Vacation

If you’re taking longer than two weeks off, I suggest suspending the gigs. While you can lengthen your delivery date to a maximum of 29 days, people will expect you to get in touch in a timely manner. There’s also the chance of multiple people ordering every day.

Do you really want to end up with hundreds of orders to complete within the first two weeks of your return?

I’ve had the situation where I’ve lengthened my delivery to 20 days to cover the week and half that I was taking off. By the time I got back, I had 44 orders to get through. It was a lot to complete during that first week considering Fiverr is a part time gig. I couldn’t reduce the delivery time like I wanted to, and that continued for a few weeks until I finally caught up.

If you’re just taking a couple of days off, it’s often worth just lengthening the delivery time instead of suspending your orders. You’re not as likely to end up with such a large amount of orders.

If you’re away for longer than a month, you need to suspend your gigs. There is no option to extend the delivery dates longer than 29 days.

Do You Have Internet Access?

If you have constant internet access while you’re away, lengthening the delivery time is a good option. You can show that you’re still in busy and answer messages, so you run less risk of losing business.

However, do you really want to be attached to your phone while away?

I tend to put a message on my profile to warn everyone that I’m away for X number of days or weeks. I’ll answer messages at the start/end of the day and that’s it, so I can still enjoy my vacations. If I’m only away for a day or two, I won’t bother and just use my phone when I’m waiting for something or have a few spare minutes.

If you have your computer you may be able to complete a few orders. I did that a few years ago when I took some time off for Christmas. I took my laptop to my parents and got through a couple of orders on the evenings when there was nothing else to do or because I couldn’t sleep.

The Risk of Removal from Search Results

When you suspend your gigs, they will be removed from the search results. That’s understandable and expected.

The risk is when you activate your gigs again. Some people have found it takes them ages to get back into the search results. Others have found the opposite and that they go straight back in where they used to be.

I wouldn’t use this as a reason not to suspend, especially if you’re away for longer than a month.


Do you suspend your gigs or lengthen the delivery time? Share your thoughts and opinions in the comments below!

No comments:

Post a Comment