Thursday 25 April 2013

Is Fiverr.com Worth It?



Fiverr.com is a great place for many people. You get to offer your skills for $5+. While there has to be something that you offer for the base rate of $5, you can quickly start charging more for other services to make a profit. But is it still a place for freelancers and marketers to make money?

There are so many Fiverr clones about, how do you know they’re not better places to be?

There are so many other opportunities online, are they better?

It Depends on Your Skills‼!

In all honesty, it does depend on the skills you have. As a writer, I’m on Fiverr but it’s not always worth it.

I’ve made many changes to my gigs over the past two years that I’ve been on the site of make sure it is worth my time. And it will always remain a part-time thing for me.

Over the last two years I’ve made just over $5,000 on the site. That’s not bad since I work part-time and I didn’t take it all too seriously. I’m also not a big one for marketing myself so it took me a while to set up this blog and start sharing my insights and show off my gigs.

However, I don’t think I’ll ever make a full-time income (some people claim to though) because of the time it takes me to do things. For some gigs, it’s just not worth the $5 and you have to start thinking how you can add more to your gigs to make more.

For the novelty items, like sprinkling words on coffee or writing messages on your hand, it’s great since they take very little time at all!

It Depends on Your Goals

For me, I want to make money. Writing is my business and I need to be able to make a profit to survive.

That makes Fiverr.com not the best decision in the world – and why I keep it part-time.

If I had a job and did Fiverr on the side, spending more time on my gigs would be more than worth it. I wouldn’t need the money to feed my family!

So, it depends on your goals. Some buyers find Fiverr.com is worth it. It helps them with a retirement or holiday fund. It allows them to buy the luxuries that they’ve always wanted. There are plenty of students looking to top up their income through Fiverr.

Others simply want to use Fiverr for fun. They want to offer quirky gigs and just have a laugh – the money is an extra bonus for them.

Some of the Recent Downsides

There are times that problems on the site make Fiverr slightly less worth the hassle. If you’ve been on the forums recently, you may have heard how Customer Support is taking days to respond.

The site is growing and more people need help but that means the few people on the support team are struggling. While that’s not too much of a problem for some – many ask questions that can be found on the forum – it is bad for those with orders coming up and they need the intervention of customer support or need their advice.

I had a couple of buyers lately that I started to question if they were the same person. I needed an answer from Fiverr support quickly but it took four days to hear from them.

I had to make the decision over whether to cancel the orders or just do them – I did them. Luckily, they weren’t the same person but this lack of support makes doing the simplest of job difficult.

There are other problems such as the withdrawal button not quite working and unplanned downtime due to the hosting company. When all these problems are put together, it makes me wonder why I’m still there but then I remember the side income I’m earning.

It’s up to you. For some, the hassles are worth it when they make the money they do. If you offer a gig that will take a couple of minutes to complete, then it’s great. But if you want to make money, you need to really think about your skills to determine whether Fiverr.com is worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment